Wednesday, 28 November 2012

First Study of State-Level COPD Prevalence in USA.

The age-adjusted prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) varies considerably within the United States, from less than 4 percent of the population in Washington and Minnesota to more than 9 percent in Alabama and Kentucky. These state-level rates are among the COPD data available for the first time as part of the newly released 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) survey.

"COPD is a tremendous public health burden and a leading cause of death. It is a health condition that needs to be urgently addressed, particularly on a local level," said Nicole Kosacz, M.P.H., an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and one of the lead analysts of the data. "This first-ever state-level analysis and breakdown is a critical source of information that will allow states to focus their resources where they will have maximum impact."

In addition to the nationwide prevalence data, surveys in 21 states as well as Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico asked additional questions related to diagnosis and quality of life of those reporting COPD. Results from the more detailed surveys included:

    71.4 percent of those reporting COPD were diagnosed via spirometry -- a simple test to assess breathing
    62.5 percent felt that symptoms adversely affected their quality of life
    50.9 percent were taking at least one daily medication to manage their COPD, with rates of medication usage increasing with age

"These findings illustrate that we still need improvement in raising awareness about COPD and its diagnosis and management," said James Kiley, Ph.D., director of the Division of Lung Diseases at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), part of the National Institutes of Health. "COPD can be well-controlled, but it's critical to diagnose it early and to follow the appropriate therapeutic strategies."

The BRFSS surveys adults aged 18 or older and is administered by state health departments in collaboration with the CDC. The addition of state-level COPD surveillance data in the 2011 study was co-supported by the NHLBI and the CDC. Nearly 500,000 people responded to the survey; 39,000 reported having COPD. The COPD data from the BRFSS survey will appear in the Nov. 23 edition of the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

COPD, which includes conditions such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis, is characterized by shortness of breath, chronic coughing or wheezing, or excess sputum (airway mucus) production. COPD develops slowly and worsens over time, causing many people to ignore the symptoms early on and delay seeking diagnosis and treatment until the disease is in its late stages.

The BRFSS survey found that nationwide, 6 percent of non-institutionalized adults, or approximately 15 million people, reported having COPD, with the highest prevalence clustered around the Ohio and lower Mississippi rivers. However, since the study did not survey older adults in institutions like nursing homes, the actual number is likely higher.

Other nationwide results for COPD included:

    Women were more likely to report COPD than men (6.7 percent vs. 5.2 percent)
    Prevalence was lower among homemakers, students, and the employed than among those who were unable to work, unemployed, or retired
    Prevalence decreased as income increased (from 9.9 percent among those making less than $25,000 a year to 2.8 percent among those making more than $75,000)
    36.4 percent of those reporting COPD were former smokers
    38.7 percent of those reporting COPD continued to smoke
    43.7 percent of those reporting COPD had a history of asthma

The BRFSS is conducted using random telephone calls (landline and cellular). The survey assesses risk behaviors and other factors that contribute to the leading causes of death in the United States.

3 comments:

  1. I currently lives in Ohio mow,I was diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease(COPD) and my husband was diagnosed with parkinson disease in 2011.Since then i have tried quitting smoking and taken many types of Bronchodilators and Short-Acting bronchodilators also tried Spiriva but not of it has helped.and my husband was unable to walk because of parkinson disease,our life was full of sorrow and pain,i was planning of going for lungs transplant,before a friend introduced me to Dr Abumere herbal medicine,my friend told me Abumere herbal medicine cured his family of different kinds of diseases such HEPATITIS B,COPD,HERPES AND PARKINSON, i was so shocked when he told me ,so i decided to call two members of his family to confirm what he told me,the answer i got from his family member matched with his own story ,so i decided to try ,so i contacted Dr Abumere herbal medicine via their email,abumereherbalcentre@gmail.com,so they replied and said their herbal medicine will cure me and my husband totally from COPD and parkinson within 25-30days of usage ,i was so happy,so i purcahsed the herbal medicine,which they sent to my home address,when we received the herbal medicine,we used as instructed,after 30days of usage,there was a lot of changes,my husband was able to walk,so we decided to see the doctor to confirm if we are really free from the disease ,i was like a dream when the doctor confirm that am COPD FREE and my husband PARKINSON FREE,everybody out there help me thank perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told I had emphysema in 1987 when I was 45 years old. I smoked for 30 years, but quit smoking as soon as I was told that I had COPD. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I ever did. But I knew I would die if I didn't. My health was getting so bad that I needed oxygen 24/7 and was down to 92lbs. Thankfully, in 1999 I got lung volume reduction surgery. It saved my life. I no longer needed oxygen and was able to climb stairs, dance, and travel the world. That good fortune lasted for almost 13 years. I am now back on oxygen 24/7 and can't climb stairs, dance or travel the world. i searched for alternative treatment Online i was introduced to Health herbal clinic by a friend here in the United states she told me they have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the COPD herbal formula and commenced usage, its totally unexplainable how all the symptoms totally dissapeared, my cough was gone and i no longer experience shortness of breath(dyspnea), contact this herbal clinic via their email Info@ healthherbalclinic. net Or website www. healthherbalclinic. net Herbs are truely gift from God

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the information on COPD . My father is a patient of this disease so we are thinking that we will start copd treatment within this week. Because we have heard a lot about this which are good.

    ReplyDelete